Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Missions Trip Changed My Worldview


An excerpt from A Missions Trip Changed My Worldview
By Chris Cunningham, Advance Volunteer
November/December 2010

I met the children of Manuelito. This article cannot do justice to the sights, smells, and a thousand struggles of these young people. An estimated 1.4 million people live in the capital city of Tegucigalpa, and 6,000 to 8,000 children live on the streets.

Yet God is there.

Pastor Jorge Pinto; his wife, Marta; and their church provide a safe haven for several street children. They took us on a trip to the streets where we gave simple food and water to the street children of Tegucigalpa. We found children who were poor beyond belief and yet rich in treasure through Jesus’ love. They had simple peace that only God can provide, and I found myself yearning for that peace.

My “self-motivating statement” is James 2:17 (NIV), “In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” I had faith. I had faith, but without works. A missions trip changed my worldview, and it continues to bring passion to my life. If you don’t believe me and you, too, are feeling a little jaded, I invite you to go, see, and taste the riches that God provides.

ACT: Give yourself a gift of changing your worldview through a missions trip. Trips are available all year round. To view a schedule and pick a time, visit www.wgm.org/teams.

No comments: