Thursday, August 5, 2010

Where Do I Begin?


An excerpt from Where Do I Begin?
By Kristi Crisp, Support Staff
July/August 2010


Are you seeking ways to expand your mission field? I want to share with you a few things that I have learned.

1. Know your limits. I am a mother of a 4-year-old and a 7-year-old, and I work full time. I don’t have oodles of free time, but I do have some. Take stock of your to-do lists and determine how much time you have to give. Outreach doesn’t have to be stressful, so make it work in your schedule.

2. Do what you’re good at. It’s not a bad idea to take an inventory of your spiritual gifts. That way, as you explore your options, you can better choose opportunities that work best with your skill set.

3. Network. Let me offer you a few suggestions of where to look for ministry opportunities. Talk with people involved in the community, sharing with them ideas on how you would like to serve. They may know of needs or connect you with the right people who can help. Chat with your church leaders. They are often aware of community needs and can present some options for you. As you have learned through this issue of The Call, don’t forget to look for nontraditional ways to serve, using talents you never thought about using for evangelism.

Do you have a book you would recommend to someone looking for a creative way to serve? Drop the title of your favorite reads in the comments.

No comments: