Monday, October 29, 2012

The Wrong Landmark


An excerpt from The Wrong Landmark

By Tim Rickel, Support Staff
October-December 2012

I looked at the landmark with disbelief and a bit of dismay. Yes, it was a landmark, but it was the wrong landmark. In fact, it was in a completely different direction from where I wanted to be going.

I began to have one of those conversations with God that was not so much prayerful as accusatory. “Lord, I’m out here serving You and trying to go to this meeting and the least You could do is point me in the right direction!” I have had a couple of these conversations with God in my lifetime, and you’d think I would have learned by now.

Well, the only thing I could do was to drive a bit farther south, catch the interstate back northeast, and then continue my journey to the WGM Northwest regional office where Men With Vision leaders were waiting to meet me. When I got there almost an hour late, everyone looked at me with amazement and asked, “How did you get here?”

I told them the route I had taken and they said, “That is the only way you could have come this morning. The whole area you were going to take is under water! We’ve been listening to it on the news.”

I had a very different kind of prayer time with God later that day, let me tell you! It was much more confessional in tone. I’m so glad for a Father who is guiding us, even when we are ignorant and ungrateful about it. I want to have the kind of faith that is confident of His leading even when I can’t see it from my point of reference.

GO: Is the Father guiding you to step out in faith—to take a new route you are unfamiliar with? Take time right now to pray and ask God for faith. If that calling is to serve in missions, check outwww.gowgm.org.

No comments: