Wednesday, May 6, 2015

What's in your Hand?

An excerpt from...

What Is in Your Hand?


The key to starting ministry where God has put you
By Meg Dul, Missionary, Hungary
April-June 2015

Meg Dul often contemplates how to balance her callings as a mom and a missionary.
How can I still be involved in ministry when my time is fully taken up by my two active little ones? They are 4 and 2, and every day they challenge me to grow in God’s grace and rely on His strength. Often I contemplate how to balance my calling as a mom and my calling as a missionary when it comes to how I spend my time.

When God called Moses from the burning bush, Moses had his doubts. “What if they don’t believe me?” God’s answer was also in the form of a question: “What is that in your hand?” “A staff,” Moses replied (Exodus 4:1-2). God had already given Moses the resources he needed to fulfill his calling—of course, not in Moses’ strength, but in his weakness and God’s power. So I look at what God has put in my hand: two darling children, a language people want to learn, experience in teaching English, and a welcoming home.

Here in Hungary, mothers get three years of maternity leave. Once their kids are 3 years old, the mothers go back to work and the kids go to a 3-year preschool. This year we started our 4-year-old in the local preschool. We prayed that through this, God would open doors for ministry for our family. The first week of school, parents were allowed to stay with their kids to help them adjust. Many moms asked if I could help them improve the English they’d learned but didn’t have the chance to practice. An idea began to form.

I asked another missionary mom to join me in starting a baba-mama group (moms and kids) in my home. One morning a week, Hungarian young mothers come with their kids aged 3 and younger. The kids play and we moms talk in English. We purposefully guide the discussion to spiritual things and pray for each mom every time we’re together. We are at the very beginning of this new outreach, but I am so encouraged by how God is weaving together the two callings He has put on my heart.

Will you take a moment to pray for us? Pray that God will use this time to draw people to Himself. And if you’re wondering where to start plugging into ministry where God has put you, take a look: what is in your hand?

Go
GO: What do you have in your hand, and how can you use that to further the kingdom? Ministry opportunities are open on nearly every WGM field. Find your fit.

No comments: