Aren’t you glad God gave us purposeful responsibilities that He has gifted us to fulfill? After finishing my teaching career, the Lord gave me the opportunity to learn how to be an accountant. It began as on-the-job training while I was part of the missionary team in Cusco, Peru. The training continued when I returned to Santa Cruz, Bolivia, to serve as treasurer for both Peru and Bolivia. It hasn’t always been easy, but I have enjoyed the opportunity and am grateful for colleagues who have been patient and kind in the process.
Routine and clear expectations are part of my comfort zone. These characteristics also fit well in the treasurer’s office. (Not that the unexpected never happens!) The normal routine includes paying the bills, disbursing money to missionaries and nationals, processing expense reports, and compiling financial reports at the end of the month. It could all sound very mundane except for the people behind the receipts. People like:
- Matilde, a faithful Christian lady whose suffering was eased by the gift of an oxygen machine
- A local pastor who received funds to pay for his young children’s schooling
- University students whose lives will be enriched by living in the new university residence under construction in Sucre
- Hundreds of individuals in northern Bolivia who were comforted as they received food and other staples following a devastating flood
- Teenagers whose lives have been changed after attending youth camp in Tarija
- Lawyers and accountants from whom we seek counsel so we may honor our host country by faithfully complying with the laws for non-profit organizations
What a joy it is to see what God is doing through the money that has been entrusted to us to administer.
I thoroughly enjoy my routine time in the office, but I also enjoy times “outside the walls” to keep my life in balance. It brings me great pleasure to make home visits to the elderly and to visit ladies in their homes, encouraging them in their walks with Jesus. Participating in the women’s ministry at church gives me an opportunity to both serve Jesus and grow in my relationship with Him.
GO: Treasurers and accountants are a vital part of the mission field team. Opportunities to serve in this capacity are available in multiple locations. To find out more, contact Jared Gleason at email@example.com or 765.671.7226.