Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I Love God's Word

 An Excerpt from...

I Love God’s Word

By Dr. Roy Lauter, WGM Partner
July-September 2013

I Love God's Word
The morning air was filled with sounds of the Maasai community of Olderkesi, Kenya. The friendly conversations of men and women moving toward the Africa Gospel Church mixed with the other rhythms of Sunday morning in Maasailand.

Jon and Vera Steury, WGM missionaries in Olderkesi (at the time), led us toward the church amid warm greetings and salutations from the Maasai people. 

This was a special day for Jon and Vera. Under their instruction, several women had learned to read. This called for a time of celebration and special recognition. As Jon called the names of the women, they stepped to the front of the church to the applause of the congregation. Vera presented each lady a new Bible in the Maasai language. The proceedings were interrupted by an older lady. She stood before the group clutching her Bible close to her chest. In her mother tongue, she spoke, “Kanyor ororei le Nkai. Kanyor ororei le Nkai!” Translated, it means, “I love God’s Word!” The translator told us what she was saying. “This book is my most precious possession. I sleep with it by my side for safety. I carry it as my shield for protection. I keep it close to me all the time. And someday I hope I’ll be able to read it. Kanyor ororei le Nkai!

I could not hold back my tears. I felt a sense of shame as I thought how many of us do not read God’s Word when we have every opportunity. Our Bibles often lay on a table or shelf and gather dust. Oh, God, please give us the love for your Word like this beautiful lady! Help us to read it daily and treasure its divinely inspired message. Teach us to use it as a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. May we truly say, “I love God’s Word.”

Learn His Word!It’s hard to share God’s love through word and deed if you are lacking in the area of Word. Recommit time to the Lord daily for learning through His Word and listening for His direction.

No comments: