Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Is It Worth Serving If I Don’t Have Any Skills?

Brianna taught English to third graders in Mexico.Brianna Boggs, Volunteer, Mexico
The Call, January-March 2017

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of becoming a flight attendant, a beautician, and even a cardiovascular surgeon. But never once, not even for a second, did I want to become a teacher. My older sister is a teacher, and, contrary to popular belief about younger siblings, I did not want to be just like her. But all of my plans failed. When I decided on a career path, God closed the door. Feeling confused and lost, I was growing frustrated. But then God placed a summer Volunteers In Action trip to Saltillo, Mexico, right in my lap.

I had never been on a missions trip before and had absolutely no clue what to expect. Before I could even find my bearings, I found myself in a bilingual school. Each day dozens of children swarmed me with their comments and questions in a mixture of Spanish and English. For the record, my Spanish knowledge was poor, at best, when I arrived in Mexico. More often than not I was oblivious to what the kids were trying to tell me, and I knew they were equally confused when I spoke to them. How was I supposed to actually teach them? Let alone a language!

But there I was, in the bilingual school, assisting an amazing woman of God and teacher known as Miss Aline. God sent me directly to her. I took notes on her teaching and interactions with the children, and I prayed. I prayed a lot! Before I knew it, I was teaching English to a class of 24 third graders. Before I knew it, I had fallen in love with each beautiful child. Before I knew it, I had fallen in love with teaching.

Before I left for Mexico, I did not know how I could contribute to God’s work in Saltillo, especially in a school. But God called me to share the light and love of Jesus Christ with those children, and He equipped me with the skills and passion to answer my call. 

Go
GO: God will equip you with the skills and passion needed for your call, too. Apply today to serve as a VIA.

MoreMORE: Read more about Brianna’s missions journey at her blog, Something Beautiful

No comments: