Wednesday, December 23, 2015

He Will Faithfully Guide

He Will Faithfully Guide


Lisette Lewis, Missionary, Uganda
October-December 2015

Lisette Lewis, missionary to UgandaWhen I graduated from high school, one of my last writing assignments was to predict where I would be and what my life would be like in 15 years. I have vague memories of writing about teaching in some interesting city. Even back then, I wasn’t entirely sure where I would end up. Still, if you had told me that almost 15 years later, I would be traveling around the U.S. and talking to people (public speaking!) about community development in Uganda, I would have never believed you. Even if you had told me two years ago, I would not have believed you.

In 2006, God called me to teach missionary kids for two years at Tenwek Hospital. I was surprised, but I happily left the American public education system. I quickly fell in love with Kenya, MKs, and the Tenwek community. When God called me back to Tenwek in 2013, I thought it was a long-term call.

I headed back to Kenya, preparing to be a part of that community for many years. I had a wonderful school year with many of the same kids I had taught before, but once again, my path curved unexpectedly. The very last day of classes, I got the call I had been dreading: my request for a work permit had been denied. I would not be able to stay at Tenwek.

I returned to the U.S., perplexed and brokenhearted. I had been so sure that God would provide the work permit. I looked at other MK schools in Africa, but one by one, God closed those doors. Even my fallback option in the U.S. was not available.

But one door flew wide open: Community Health Empowerment in Uganda. Once again, God changed the course I had expected my life to take, but I am so grateful for His clear leading that I serve a God who is bigger than any of my ideas or plans.

As I (once again) make my way through this unknown territory, I am thankful for a God who loves abundantly and guides faithfully. I am (slowly) learning that as long as I am walking in obedience, I am exactly where God calls me to be.

Make an impact on your knees.
PRAY: When God’s plans for us change, it is often hard to understand. Many who have experienced this would relate to Lisette’s feelings of being perplexed and heartbroken. Will you commit to praying this month for a missionary facing a change in ministry assignment or someone in your life whom God is redirecting? They need your prayer support now more than ever.

No comments: