Thursday, October 1, 2015

God's Ways are not our Ways

An excerpt from...

God’s Ways Are Not Our Ways


Stephanie Abrams, Missionary, Kenya
October-December 2015

God's Ways Are Not Our WaysI am a planner by nature. I feel most calm and secure when I have a detailed outline of what is going to happen. How does that fit into being a missionary? Well, it doesn’t, but I think that can be said for anyone, not just a missionary. As soon as I completely surrendered my life to Christ, I gave Him full permission to plan my future.

Our family’s journey has had many ups and downs, and it has given me a greater understanding of just how faithful God really is. Here is just one example:
We are finally funded and released from our homeland ministry assignment and should be heading to Kenya, but we’re not. Because of changes in the Kenyan government, we cannot leave for the field until my husband’s work permit comes. We just naturally assumed that once we were funded, we would leave. But God had different plans. I have to admit, I have not handled this well at times. This delay put me into panic mode. My planning nature kicked in. I’ll be honest, it hasn’t always been pretty.

But God in His amazing grace pursued me. He kept whispering to my soul to just let go and trust Him with every little detail. Finally, after much praying, searching the Bible, and crying, I have come to a point of complete surrender, again. He gave me Philippians 4:4-7: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (NIV).
These verses remind me that I’m never alone and that the Lord is always near, always. I have much to be thankful for, even on my worst days. I serve a risen Savior, and I have the privilege of sharing His good news to a lost and dying world.

God’s ways are not our ways, and His ways are much higher than ours. I may never know exactly why we have been delayed, but I do know that He is good and faithful. I can put my plans at His feet and trust that His way is best, even when it hurts and messes up “my plans.”

Study Matthew 6:25-34 about worry.
ACT: Worry is a normal reaction when “our plans” get messed up. What does the Bible say about worry? Dig deeper and study Matthew 6:25-34.

No comments: